Travel through movies?
Have you ever seen a movie that made such an impression on you that afterwards when you visited the city it was filmed in you wanted to find the locations from that movie?That happened to me a few times. When my friend and I visited Vienna for the first time we wanted to find a café that we saw in the movie Before Sunrise, which takes place entirely in Vienna, Austria. When we found Kleines Cafe from that movie we were so happy. We had a drink there. The same thing happened when I travelled to London for the first time with my BFF. I wanted to find the bookstore from the Notting Hill movie. Alas, it was closed when we came so we couldn’t get in but we had a lovely walk around Portobello Hill market and I bought a set of three London souvenir t-shirts for just 10£. What a bargain!
On another visit to London I wanted to see the Somerset house because I had seen it in another movie (Last chance Harvey). Of course, when I went to Oxford I had to visit the dining hall from the Harry Potter movies aka the Christ Church college’s Great hall. The sole reason for visiting Bruges last year during our weekend trip to Brussels was the movie In Bruges 🙂 However, some movies hit that wanderlust nerve that we’ve all got (at least us that write about our travels as if other people are interested in what we have to say 😉 ).
And thus through certain movies we got to see beautiful far away places that also might inspire us to visit them or they might inspire us to travel: full stop. So, one day when I visit New York City I’d like to see some of the locations from the Sex and the City series and from the Gossip Girls series (such guilty pleasures I know 🙂 ). Undoubtedly my fascination with England was also probably fuelled by certain movies too not just books (Richard Curtis you’ve got a lot to answer to!) 🙂
So here’s my list of my favourite travel movies (not necessarily travel by genre but because they show or are filmed in some beautiful places):
- James Bond movies: all 007 movies are set in exotic locations
- Under the Tuscan Sun: beautiful Tuscan countryside
- My life in ruins: gorgeous Greece
- The Spanish Apartment trilogy: Barcelona, London, St. Petersburg, New York (French movies)
- Before Sunrise trilogy: Vienna, Paris, Greece
- Midnight in Paris: Paris obviously
- One Day: Edinburgh, London, France
- Amelie: Paris
- Paddington: London (my beloved London features in so, so many movies) 🙂
- Leap Year: Ireland
- P.S. I love you: New York, Ireland
- Chasing Liberty:Prague, Venice, Berlin,London
- A good year:Provence (and Gherkin!)
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty: Iceland among other places
- L’Arnacoeur: Monaco (French movie)
- The Lord of the Rings movies :New Zealand
- The Hobbit:New Zealand
- Narnia: filmed in some very real places around the world
- The Golden Compass movie: Oxford, Norway, etc.
- Eat, Pray, Love: Rome, Bali
- Seven Years in Tibet: isn’t filmed in Tibet but in Argentina, Austria, Chile etc.
- In Bruges: Bruges have actually visited this town because of the movie 🙂
The list is randomly ordered
So, if it’s cold&damp outside why don’t you make yourself comfortable at your sofa with a cup of tea in one hand and a remote in another and watch one of these movies? Tell me later which one you saw 🙂